Monday, July 2, 2007

Antigua...Escribo con respeto

Well, I lied. We're not in Panajachel. At least not today. After we left the internet cafe last night, Roni and I both came to the conclusion that we were just beginning to familiarize ourselves with Antigua and that we wanted another day.

Excellent choice.

We did not give Antigua proper respect, attention, or appreciation. My apologies to my readers and other Antigua travelers for acknowledging the volcano before writing about Antigua itself.

It took me a day to warm up to Antigua. Surpsing as this may be to a few people who are in the know, I kept getting lost. For those who do not know, Antigua is layed out in a grid comprised of Calles and Avenidas. Easy peasy, but I've been disorientated until...well, now. Finally. Worry not, Roni has been on-point with directions almost every time. We make a good team.


Otherwise, when we first arrived in Antigua it was about 6:30 am after flying all night. We were tired, but couldn't get into our hotel room until 11:30 am. After letting us drop off our large bags, Roni and walked around the town for much of the morning, having breakfast, a few liquidas, and some down time, and it FINALLY was 11:30. After a heavy heavy nap, we both awoke very tired and went about to explore Antigua further. I think we both felt a little lost, disorientated, and tired that first night. the next day we went to the voclano and that was such an overwhelmingly postive experience that we realized we were leaving Antigua far too prematurely.

I warmed up to Antigua rather quickly. The streets are cobblestoned, the buildings are cement, and their colors vary in pastel color from green, reds, yellows, etc. Roads are either one way or two way, and it feels like there are several cars here (some motorcycles too). No, I haven't ridden one...yet. I think I'll try that in Pana, but I'm not sure if that's a safe thing to do (as far as being a gringo on the road and all). My moto skills are...um really good.

Buildings typically have one to two levels at most, and each seems to have a large wooden door that hides vast and bountiful worlds. Many places we have eaten at, ventured into, and explored have amazingly lush open air courtyards. Not all buildings have this feature, but several do and each has been a pleasent surprise each time. I'd LOVE to have any of these courtyards in a backyard some day. Good luck finding that in the Bay Area.

Today has been great:

We woke up and had ourselves a delicious (if not compeltely decadent) breakfast from a great locale we stopped to smell the night before. Check it: scrambled eggs, black beans, and a slice of carrot cake. Vinh and Norey, worry not, pictures will be included once I can get a good downloading speed. We spent a few more hours chatting, reading, and hanging.























Roni signed herself up for a 4 hour spanish class today, which is where she is now. She's been doing great despite the limited spanish she knows. I've been doing pretty well myself being the primary speaker. Talking on the telephone is more challenging because I can't use my hands or watch facial expressions. But so far I was able to reserve us a one night stay at what has to be the most recommended place in Guatemala so far...La Casa del Mundo near Lago de Atitlan. Ok ok, to really confirm the reservation, the hotel worker spoke to me in English. Yesterday, they wanted me to forward money from a bank, I think. I kinda got lost in translation if you will. So long as we get there by 1 pm (and keep them posted) we're all set.

Today was also our first weekday in Antigua, and that was fun. Lots of students dressed in different uniforms heading off to class as well as few more stores opening up. The city and parque central had a different feel to it today, bustling around mediadia, but rather quiet after that. All I wanted was a little carne from a street vendor, and when left to my own devices, I was actually able to figure out where I was...I'm orientated baby. Watch out. Lunch was awesome. Yes, a picture was taken.




So tomorrow we will be headed to Lago de Atitlan and will be staying in La Case Del Mundo in the village of Jaibalito (I hope!).

I think we're in for a few days around the lake. I might go handgliding. No, Roni is doubtful for this, but if you send strong words of encouragement her way, you never know.

Also...comments are always appreciated, so go on right ahead. If you have a bit more to say or want to address one of us more specifically, shoot us an email.

I promise that pictures will make it in here. Ones to look forward to: food, the volcano, lava, first class flying, and more.

Buenos Tardes

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravisimo.....mi hijo

Usted le gusta un grand tiempo.

Aqui, nada nuevo pero Los A's com si com sa

Roger Clemens "won" numero 350 (ono de ocho, mas or menos en MLB historia)....ocho innings and solo dos "hits"......Yo creo que el Yankees "are back"...

Barry numero 751 ayer y creo que numero 755 cuando All_Star game......Bonds en left field" starting.....

Yo going to see Steve Winwood at a Winery in Livermore tomorrow night and Stephen Stills in Santa Cruz next week(el mismo tiempo All Star game)

Mi madre es bueno y no cancer

Nada mas

Hasta leugo

Tienen un buen tiempo

Tome un Tecate con limon?

Pappa

Catarina said...

You will love Lake Atitlan. I'm sure you will never forget the most beautiful place in the world. Enjoy your stay in Jaibalito!

trixieb said...

Hola Adan,

I am trying to imagine the buildings in Antigua all different colors. I would like to have a brightly colored house, amarillo, with and an interior patio, lush plants and of course pajaros.

Te amo, Mama

Unknown said...

El dia de cuartro de Julio no especial.....Yo "went" to the As game....un dia mas bonita pero the game sucked. Toronto 10-2

Hoy, "jury duty"...... pero.... Yo digar: "I can not serve any jury because of our seemingly corrupt and inconsistent legal system. most recently manifested by Mr. Bush, your honor. UNtil I am better assured that what I have been asked to do with due diligence, as a consequence of seeing changes made in the near future to this broken system, , I can not with more than a reasonable doubt and/or a preponderance of evidence, partake in this 'duty'"

Hasta luego

Pappa

trixieb said...

Thank you for sending the photographs of the houses and the gardens. I love the one of Roni in the garden.

Love, Momma

norey said...

yay food pictures HOLLA!!!