Sunday, July 15, 2007

Vamo-vamos a Ganar




Hola futbol fans...

I'm back in Antigua and will begin my Spanish classes tomorrow. Orale!

Yesterday I attended the 57th anniversary (not 25th like I thought) celebration for Radio Cultural, a local station of San Pedro de La Laguna. It was quite the event, a really special experience unlike any other I've been to. First, there were tons of Guatemalans, not sure if they were from San Pedro persay, but regardless, this felt like the most genuine Guatemalan experience of my trip so far, and therefore very special.

The event kicked off with a opening number from a chorus of maybe 25 Mayan women, singing about two songs. Then there was a prayer, followed by speeches, and then more performances. There was one group with three guitarists who rocked it, playing a kinda Flamenco style. Another group had I'd say 20 musicians, a few guitars, voices, rhythm, etc.

The speeches, from what I understood, were about San Pedro, el Senor, Radio Cultural, and more. I didn't stay for the whole thing, and somehow that was a good call. Turns out my hotel was very close to the celebration, and the same guy was speaking for onwards of 45 minutes.
Whew. I grabbed myself a Tamale (2 quetz!) and went on home.

After chilaxing alone in the dorm of 8, just me and myself, I went to Zoola, and Israeli joint swarming with Israeli travelers and now made locals. It felt really nice to hear some hebrew, although it was a bit tough to have my first dinner alone. I went all out and ordered a sampler, which was delicious, but had to spread out the eating of it over an hour to get anywhere close to finishing it.

Then I was joined by a group of Israelis and we chatted it up. Kinda. They didn't really seem interested in my answers to the questions they asked, that's cool. They were impressed by the little Hebrew I do know.

Upon arriving in Antigua, I went to get my laundry and to go to my new Home stay. Turns out Madre Irma invited all of her family over, so I was greeted by a rather large lunch party when I came home. I didn't sit at the table, and I don't think I was invited to, which is ok considering it was a family event on a Sunday, but nonetheless it was really cool to see a big family getting together. Makes me miss my family and friends. Really.

Then I went to a sport's bar called Sporks (no no, not kosher) and watched the Argentina/Brazil Copa America final. Antigua was buzzing about this game, with about half the city split for either team (at least those that care to watch futbol).

With all apologies to my dear friend Gabe, it wasn't a close game at all, but I did learn a new Argentina spirit song, so I'm pretty stoked about that. It was fun to watch the game here, I must say that.

That's about it for me. Write me emails, please. Tell me what's going on in your life.

1 comment:

trixieb said...

Hey Adam,
Marc is in New York for a couple of days to help his brother clean out his parents apartment. He found a picture of his maternal grandmother Bessie the bootlegger. It is the first picture he has seen of her.

He suggests that we write names of people of the back of photos while we can remember who they are and where they were for the next generation. So I have my work cut out for me, plus we need more pictures.

He says that his parents look better than he has seen them look in a long time.

It has been very hot here.